In a miraculous escape, 70 passengers including school children escaped unhurt after their bus went up in flames in Vijayawada, thanks to the alertness of bus driver, Akula Venkat, reported The News Minute.
Mr. Venkat’s instinct to abandon the CNG bus, helped the passengers alight the bus immediately. The bus driver suspected a gas leakage in the bus and asked them to evacuate immediately, before it flared up, according to Charan Teja of The News Minute.
As per the report, the incident took place at around 8:40 am on Tuesday near Siddhartha Medical College in Vijayawada when the bus was heading towards Benz Circle.
Up on reaching SMC the bus driver halted the bus since he smelt gas. He immediately urged passengers including students to get down the bus which later caught fire.
“After the driver alerted me, I immediately, asked the passengers to leave the bus. After getting down, within two minutes, the entire bus was engulfed in fire,” TNM quoted the bus conductor, M Sireesha.
Within minutes fire tenders arrived at the spot and brought situation under control. However, the bus was completely gutted meanwhile.
The bus had about 70 passengers, including 53 college and school-going students according to reports.
It was the first such incident where a city bus caught fire due to CNG issue, said APSRTC, Regional Manager, P V Rama Rao. Tahsildar R. Siva Prasad, local police and others reached the spot.